Subject: Re: GCC problem
To: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
From: David M. Stanhope DMS <dms@bsdpc.celtech.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/15/1997 19:41:10
On Sun, 14 Dec 1997, Frank van der Linden wrote:

> Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 20:33:01 +0100
> From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
> To: Ingolf Koch <ingolf@mathematik.uni-jena.de>
> Cc: current-users@NetBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: GCC problem
>
> On Thu, Dec 11, 1997 at 12:38:50PM +0100, Ingolf Koch wrote:
> > > #include <iostream.h>
> > > main()
> > > {
> > >     cout << hex << 1234 << endl;
> > > }
> > >
> > > The output:
> > >
> > > {pent2:~}133: g++ -o test1 test1.C
> > > /var/tmp/cc29957a1.o: Undefined symbol `_hex__FR3ios' referenced from text
> > > segment
> >
> > This is what my bin/4490 PR is about. Although I have
> > suggested a workaround (see audit trail), no one seems
> > to have taken a look at it. :-/
>
> I had a look, and at first I could reproduce it. _hex__FR3ios (mangled
> version of hex() taking an iostream) should be in libstdc++. After
> some cleaning up and rebuilding libstdcc+, the error disappeared.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't remember quite what I did.. However, the problem
> seems to be that there was an old .o file lying around somewhere. THis
> can be a problem, for example, if you have been compiling without obj
> dirs, do a 'make obj' without cleaning out all the .o files first.
>
> Apparently, this also happened when the snapshot was built, so the binary
> distribution now also has this problem (on 3 different architectures at
> least).
>
> - Frank

I removed /usr/src/gnu and re-supped it to insure all was clean, then just
incase and old include file was hanging around, removed /usr/include. I then
did a 'make build', which finished nicely, but the above program still gets
the same error when compiled. I check /usr/lib and there are no old libraries
hanging around, only ones put there by the make build. Any ideas?
                        dms@celtech.com

make build and still doesn't work. What else could I try.