Subject: TCP dropping connextions ?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Manuel BOUYER <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 12/12/1997 18:31:40
Hi all,

I'm trying to get a buch of 100k files from ftp.netbsd.org.
The problem is that the sockets are closed by ftp.netbsd.org before the
transfer is complete. I tried with both a machine running a 1.3_BETA kernel
from december, 04, and another running an older 1.3_ALPHA kernel.

>From what I can see with netstat, the server (ftp.netbsd.org) closes
the ftp and ftp-data sockets, and the client will eventually
reports these sockets as being closed later. At the time where I'm writing
this, I have 2 hung ftp connextions from the 2 machines above. netstat -a
on ftp.netbsd.org shows that there is no more ftp socket with these
machines. On the clients the ftp sockets have been closed but not the
ftp-data ones. I'm unable to sucessfully transfer one file of 100k.
During these transferts attemps, ping showed:
----netbsd.warped.com PING Statistics----
50 packets transmitted, 32 packets received, 36% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 167.379/179.642/205.758 ms

which is not that terrible. I've seen sucessfull ftp transfert with much
higther packet loss. And my ssh connection to ftp.netbsd.org is a bit slow,
but usable.

Did someone else see this ?

     {Net,Free}BSD: 21 ans d'experience feront toujours la difference