Subject: re: sysinst frustration on i386
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 12/11/1997 20:53:07
I don't know about not installing kern.tgz.  The i386 install media
don't have a GENERIC kernel; you install kern.tgz to get one.  IMHO
the risks of forcing users to install it are smaller than letting them
choose to not install it and perhaps not instllaing it when they
really need to.

``After 1.3''.

>The big complaint was on where it found the sets. I understand from
>reading previous messages that "local" ment local, unmounted partitions. I
>didn't see any option for local, mounted partitions. Basically before
>upgrading, I threw the install dinstributions on the same hard disk on
>which I was going to install. How should I have handled that? sysinst got
>upset when it couldn't mount wd0a (as it was already mounted).

As of a week ago, there are separate menu entries for getting tarballs
from already-mounted filesystems (e.g., in the target /usr) and from
an unmounted directory (e.g., an msdosfs or adosfs or ext2fs
partition).

Here's a screen image.  If you don't see a menu like this, ask your
portmaster to build a newer snapshot.

-------

 Your disk is now ready for installing the kernel and the distribution
 sets.  As noted in your INSTALL notes, you have several options.  For
 ftp or nfs, you must be connected to a network with access to the proper
 machines.  If you are not ready complete the installation at this time,
 you may select "none" and you will be returned to the main menu.  When
 you are ready at a later time, you may select "upgrade" from the main
 menu to complete the installation.

                    *******************
                    *  Select medium  *
                    *>a: ftp          *