Subject: sysinst frustration on i386
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 12/11/1997 14:00:45
Howdy!

I just had an opportuntiy to upgrade an i386 to 1.3_BETA using sysinst.
I'm posting here as the concerns/frustrations I ran into are M.I.

The main thing was how it went about installing the distribution sets. The
lesser concern was that it insisted on installing a kern.tgz set. I have
enough disk space on this machine to track the current kernel, so I
already have a 1.3_BETA, customized kernel. I don't really want the 1.3
kernel. :-)  I understand disabling the kernel install is dangerous, lest
a user try to run a kernel older than the userland, but some sort of
option (probably with a "are you sure" "are you REALLY sure" quiz) would
be nice.

The big complaint was on where it found the sets. I understand from
reading previous messages that "local" ment local, unmounted partitions. I
didn't see any option for local, mounted partitions. Basically before
upgrading, I threw the install dinstributions on the same hard disk on
which I was going to install. How should I have handled that? sysinst got
upset when it couldn't mount wd0a (as it was already mounted).

One fix would be to check and see if the specified device is already
mounted, and skip trying to mount it if so.

The above incidents were frustrating as sysinst looked REALLY cool. I do
appreciate all the effort everyone's put into it.

Take care,

Bill