Subject: Re: procmail pkg?
To: Brad Salai <bsalai@servtech.com>
From: Bjoern Labitzke <hermit@labitzke.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de>
List: current-users
Date: 12/10/1997 15:44:27
On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, Brad Salai wrote:

> > [Package-documentation hint]

> That looks helpful, I'll give it a try.
>

> Is there a reason why a bunch of packages were removed? at least some of
> them worked, and the others were being worked on.

They weren't intended to be put there in the first place. They were taken
from FreeBSD and edited a little (if at all), but were removed because
that solution produced more problems than it helped: There were no real
maintainers for those packages, they weren't tested or didn't even work.
So removing them solved more problems than it created.

> Could untested packages be put in -current until they are working, and
> then moved? I think it would be easier to modify a FreeBSD package than
> make one from scratch.

You can get them from the FreeBSD-ports-collection at
  http://www.freebsd.org/ports/index.html

I think that is easier than letting them appear in an own collection
without any testing. There would appear a lot of cases where the software
gets installed in wrong places (FreeBSD uses another root-dir for that
hierarchy), lots of errors are reported and none is responsible etc. If
you see a package you like, you can try getting the FreeBSD port, change
the appropriate files (mentioned in the Package-documentation coming
later) and try it. If it works you can submit it.

Bye, Bjoern

--
Bjoern Labitzke   | E-Mail: hermit@cs.tu-berlin.de
PGP-Key available | Use PGP! Or don't you use envelopes for your letters?