Subject: literate programming (was: Re: IPFILTER_LOG option missing from GENERIC config)
To: None <djv@bedford.net>
From: Bjoern Labitzke <hermit@labitzke.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de>
List: current-users
Date: 12/08/1997 18:51:16
A bit off-topic, but I think it's worth to be noted:

On Sun, 7 Dec 1997, D. J. Vanecek wrote:

> Donald Knuth has a system called, I believe, "literate programming",
> which intersperses text comments and code, (in this case shell code).

The original system was called WEB. "Literate programming" is more a
programming "discipline" than a system. As you mentioend already it
includes code and documentation in the same file. Because design
decisions, ideas and explanations are kept near the code, they are easier
to maintain and understanding the code gets easier for you or others
later, when you revisit it. The overall quality of the code raises, too,
because logical errors become rare when you explain your line of thought
near the code. These advantages are no promises to sell a product, but the
experience of many developers using that technique. You may start by
looking at the noweb-package included under pkgsrc/devel/noweb. (BTW: You
don't really need icon to run noweb. You may use awk-scripts which are
included in the noweb-distribution, too.)

Thx. for listening...

Bjoern

--
Bjoern Labitzke   | E-Mail: hermit@cs.tu-berlin.de
PGP-Key available | Use PGP! Or don't you use envelopes for your letters?