Subject: re: TMS34061
To: None <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@ti.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/08/1997 09:47:38
maximum entropy, entropy@zippy.bernstein.com wrote:

>  I'm writing a device driver for a VME-bus graphics card.  The driver
>  essentially works right now, but I'd like to clean up the
>  initialization code a bit.
>
>  The graphics chip on the card is a Texas Instruments TMS34061.  The
>  information I have right now basically amounts to "write these magic
>  values to these magic hardware registers and you'll magically get a
>  video mode with these dimensions."  I'd really prefer to know what
>  that part of my code is doing, and be able to use mnemonic names for
>  the registers instead of magical hard-coded register offsets.
>
>  Does anyone have documentation on this chip?  I already scoured TI's
>  web site and came up with documentation on the 34010 and 34020, which
>  don't seem to use the same set of registers as this chip.  I couldn't
>  find anything at all about the 34061.  I assume the chip is no longer
>  manufactured.
>
>  I'd be really grateful if anyone could provide me with data sheets or
>  point me to somewhere that I can find this information.

My current employer used to be a division of TI and we still have a lot of old
TI Data Books around here. Unfortunately I haven't found the book you need, but
I can tell you what you're looking for. The Data Book is entitled "TMS34061
User's Guide, Video System Controller 1985". The book order number is SPPU014A
and it used to sell for $11.95.  I haven't found a replacement chart that lists
this chip, but there is a TMS34071 Video System Controller chip that might have
been an upward compatible replacement.  Unfortunately I can't find anything on
it either.

-bob