Subject: Re: IPFILTER_LOG option missing from GENERIC config
To: Scott Bartram <scottb@orionsoft.com>
From: D. J. Vanecek <listread@bedford.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/07/1997 19:55:14
> I believe the IPFILTER_LOG option should be added (commented out) to the
> GENERIC files. Without this option ipmon (ipfilter logging) doesn't
> work.
>
> Scott Bartram
> scottb@orionsoft.com
> http://www.orionsoft.com/

I'll add my "me too", with the hope that all settable definitions
for building a kernel should appear there.

Donald Knuth has a system called, I believe, "literate programming",
which intersperses text comments and code, (in this case shell code).
Kernel configuration, through a file like GENERIC, is a very obvious
place for implementing this, perhaps without using TeX, of course.
The Linux method is somewhat similar, although the comments are not
in the same file as the definitions, and it uses the dreaded menu
interface in one of its versions.

As it stands now, configuring a kernel often causes a search of
source code for definitions, and headscratching and experimentation
about what a certain definition does or undoes. This method, OTOH,
does build 'character', but does so spottily.

Perhaps a config file, like GENERIC, but more universal, with
comments, would answer the need. It would satisfy me, for one.
KITCHENSINK? SMORGASBORD? OMNIBUS? PORTMANTEAU?

Would something with M4 preprocessing be viable? or needless complication?
M4 has seemingly eased the configuration of the daunting sendmail
daemon, and would not offend the mouse/menu-phobes like me.

Dave