Subject: Re: PCI mode probe [was Re: INSTALL kernel support ]
To: Manuel BOUYER <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: current-users
Date: 12/06/1997 17:46:55
Excerpts from netbsd: 6-Dec-97 Re: PCI mode probe [was Re:.. Manuel
BOUYER@antioche.l (1440*)

> with this patch and without PCI_PROBE_DONTKNOW, the probe fails on a compaq
> deskpro (probes mode 2 where it should be mode 1), but success on an old p90
> which uses PCI mode 2.

Can you figure out which chipset is used in the Compaq
(and if there is documentation available)?

> with PCI_PROBE_DONTKNOW defined, the probe succeed on the compaq deskpro
> (althouth it finds 8 pchb devices, from pci0 dev 0 function 0 to
> pci0 dev 0 function 7)

Must be a really braindead one...

> [...]
> but fails on the old P90: it detects PCI mode 1 and doesn't find any
> PCI devices any more (all this with the standart INSTALL kernel).

A less elegant but definitely working solution would
be simply to try to find PCI devices in both modes.
But let's see if we can specialcase the Compaq in a clean
way first.

best regards
Matthias