Subject: Re: SGI port?
To: Paul B Dokas <dokas@cs.umn.edu>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 12/05/1997 16:39:08
>I was point to www.linux.sgi.com today.  Is anyone working or thinking
>about porting NetBSD to SGI hardware?

Various people have expressed interest but I don't know of anyone
actively working on it yet.  port-mips is the right place to ask.

There's a news3400 (big-endian) port in progress. It boots, but it's
not folded into the tree yet. So the userlevel and kernel have been
shaken out and are little- vs. big-endian clean. And most of the
sys/arch/mips support is truly MI.

But it might make more sense to wait till 1.3A is out with revamped MD
pmax motherboard code, that would make a better starting template for
a new mips-based port.  At that point it comes down to writing the
necessary drivers and bus.h code.

If the chips used on a given SGI mboard are already supported by
NetBSD MI drivers, that could be really simple.  I imagine that
supporting the SGI graphics heads could be unending fun, though.