Subject: Re: sysinst report [was: 1.3Beta]
To: None <rvb@gluck.coda.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Phil Nelson <phil@cs.wwu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 12/05/1997 13:26:50
> >b. Well, it's time to bail and do a simple "install" installation.  But before
> >   I do that, I did one last "disklabel wd0".  The root is 277Meg, swap is 258Meg
> >   and /usr is the rest 561meg.  Why is root so big?  Further, I have 128Meg of
> >   primary memory not to swap.  I don't want to waste 258meg of disk.
>
> I don't know, I'm told it was copied verbatim from the install sh
> scripts.

The above was the reason for having custom installs.  But they should be
easier to access.  I'll look at adding an appropriate menu selection to
do custom reselection.  (I'm not sure I'll have that much time to look
before 1.3.)

Also, the swap was intended to be >= memory size for kernel panics and saving
a memory image to swap and then to root.  That is why the standard defaults
were so big for both root and swap.  This should also be more easily selectable.
It should check for memory size.  For example, with only 32 Megs of memory,
it might be reasonable, if runing X to have up to 64 Megs of swap.  (I have
seen a machine run out of 32 Megs of swap running quite a few X clients...)

But once one has more than 64 megs, it might be just nice to use exactly the
memory size for swap so that panics can save memory.

The problem is that there are so many different ways to do things, you can't
have "one size fits all" and have everyone happy about the one size.  Possibly
we should not have a "standard" partitioning and make the user always enter
their sizes.  Defaults could still be given here.

--
Phil Nelson                    NetBSD: http://www.netbsd.org
e-mail: phil@cs.wwu.edu        !gifs: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html