Subject: Re: off-topic crap
To: None <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Ian Dall <Ian.Dall@dsto.defence.gov.au>
List: current-users
Date: 12/05/1997 11:13:00
Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us> writes:

  > On 12/4/97 at 7:12 AM -0800, you wrote:
  >> Can you all please stop spamming the netbsd lists with off-topic crap ABOUT
  >> SPAM?

  > Just my humble opinion. Levity aside, I believe a legislative solution is
  > the correct answer to this problem. If most spam originates in the US, then
  > the solution is a law in the US. If, after such a law is passed,
  > significant amounts of spam start coming from Germany, England, or
  > somewhere else, then it'll be the task of *thier* legislatures to stop the
  > spam originating in their regions.

At the risk of perpetuating this further:

Currently almost all spam I get is from the US and yes I know there
are a lot of users in the US, but it still seems disproportionate.  A
legislative solution may be best but if so is outside the scope of
this mailing list despite the fact that spam is a problem for this
mailing list.  I'd encourage anyone who wants to lobby for legislative
change to do so!

An alternative to legislation is black-balling/ostracising
whatever. And this IS appropriate for this list (in the absense of a
meta list for discusssion about netbsd mailing lists). The idea is
that sites which originate spam and refuse to do anything about it get
banned (refuse connections from them). It maybe that legitimate users
are inconvenienced by this, but if this happens THEY will certainly
put pressure on there ISP's to do something about it!  Procmail
filters are not enough because they don't do anything to reduce
traffic.

So I am happy if legislative changes happen, but a) it is not the place of
this mailing list to discuss it and b) in the meantime I would like it if
the mail server had a sendmail hack to refuse connections from known
bad sites.

Ian