Subject: perhaps that's where the spammers got the NetBSD list
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/03/1997 16:17:29
If I recall correctly, some time ago someone complained about receiving spam
at an address used only for sending email to netbsd lists.  I just received the
message below, indicating that sure enough, someone is gatewaying a local
newsgroup version of the mailing list onto DejaNews, apparently from idiom.com.
greywolf's mail seems to come through idiom.com (so I take it he's one of the
people discussed recently who isn't actually on the mailing list for various
reasons and thus couldn't post to current-users etc. if it were subscribers
only), so I take it that idiom.com isn't just doing this on behalf of spammers,
but perhaps they could be gently persuaded not to publish the netbsd "groups".