Subject: Re: Mass-Mailings Delivered to NetBSD.ORG--STOP THE(MY) MADNESS
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
From: Jeff Thieleke <thieleke@ix.netcom.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/27/1997 01:41:11
> Um.   Pegasus mail?   That's a mail package that some spammers have
> used from time to time to send spam, but lots of legitimate people use
> it too, and the company has a strong anti-spam stance.   Why would you
> filter out mail that claims to come from the Pegasus mailer?

Whoa, Deja vu all over again...

Please re-examine this recipe:

  * ^Comments: Authenticated sender
    ^

Note the second line - this recipe is true only if the mailer is *NOT*
Pegasus Mail.  Therefore, all legitimate email from Pegasus Mail users
will *NOT* be filtered, while all spam with a phony "Comments:" *WILL*
be filtered.

This is my single most effective recipe, responsible for stopping at
least 50% of all spam, while at the same time, never blocking a
legitimate email.

Don't worry, you aren't alone in misinterpreting this recipe.  Even
though it is very common (I certainly didn't originate it), every time I
post this recipe, I get a one or two "Why are you blocking Pegusus
Mail!?!" responses.  That "!" is apparently easily overlooked!

Jeff Thieleke