Subject: nfs mounted swap causes kern panic on dec alpha (ALPHA)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.futureone.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/26/1997 19:05:17
While trying to compile a kernel on a diskless machine with swap on nfs:

# fatal kernel trap:
#
#     trap entry = 0x2 (memory management fault)
#     a0         = 0x120296068
#     a1         = 0x1
#     a2         = 0x0
#     pc         = 0xfffffc000033d068
#     ra         = 0xfffffc00003f4ccc
#     curproc    = 0xfffffe004a55f000
#         pid = 2, comm = pagedaemon
#
# panic: trap
# syncing disks... 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 giving up
#
# dump to dev 601 not possible
# rebooting...

Someone on port-alpha told me this was a "known bug"  and indeed it is.
PR#3892.  (So I won't bother send-pr'ing it)  Either way..  this is ALPHA.
Curt's snapshot from 1105.  Booting off the install floppy in the alpha tree.

Anyhow.. my machine is pretty much useless until this gets fixed.. (or if this
is something else.. please tell me..  generous amounts of debug output
gleefully available on request.

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.futureone.com
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html