Subject: Re: floppy controller tape devices?
To: None <explorer@flame.org, port-i386@NetBSD.ORG, current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/24/1997 16:35:32
In article <v6vhxigmap.fsf@kechara.flame.org> you write:
> I remember how much Mycroft was flamed for working on the sound system
> back when Quake first came out.  I don't want to see that sort of thing
> happen again...

Unless there was some other incident I've forgotten about, I think you
need to check your memory :-)

Mycroft wasn't flamed for working on sound. There was a commit message
from him relating to making DOOM's sound work on NetBSD, and I wrote a
toungue-in-cheek message the effect that he must have become addicted to
DOOM, and the fact that his habit would only allow him to hack NetBSD in
furtherance of his addiction was the reason NetBSD didn't have a new VM
system or (at the time) bounce buffers. A few people took this as a
flame. I don't think Charles himself did, though, or at least I certainly
hope not. He never expressed to me that this was the case, anyway. I
thought it was sufficiently obvious that it was a joke (especially since
it presumes that the only person capable of doing a new VM or bounce
buffers is Charles, which clearly isn't true -- bounce buffers were done
mostly by other people, and there is _a_ (not necessarrily _the_) new VM
system being worked on by someone else).

The joke was mostly prompted by the fact that "videogame player" has a
strong negative correlation with my mental image of mycroft (never
having met him, of course. Several others confirmed that this seemed out of
character to them), and the fact that at that time there hadn't been
much else in the way of commits from him (which for purposes of humor I
took as positive proof that he was spending all his time playing DOOM).

I don't recall anyone else seriously or in jest suggesting that working
on sound is a bad thing. Lennart is now the one doing most of the sound
work, and I recall several messages approving of his work.