Subject: Re: floppy controller tape devices?
To: Gerald C. Simmons <simmons@darykon.cet.com>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 11/24/1997 18:59:17
On Sun, 23 Nov 1997 14:02:36 -0800 (PST)  "Gerald C. Simmons" wrote:

> Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought both the Linux and Free-BSD
> projects were also volunteer work. Why does that give us the right to NOT
> support something and call it CRAP!

NetBSD has the right not to support something if either or both of the
following situations are true:

(1) the code doesn't exist
(2) core decides the feature does not belong in NetBSD

In the case of #1, money can be applied to find someone to write the
desired code.

In the case of #2 anyone who is upset with NetBSD is welcome (yea,
encouraged) to use something that they are happier with. In extreme
cases of #2 a new group may be formed, as the inability of 386BSD to
cut the mustard led to the independent formation of NetBSD and
FreeBSD.

The presence or absence of support in another free OS of course
effects #1, but not #2.

For the record, I think of floppy tape whatsits as write only media,
and was disappointed when HP bought Colorado as HP's reputation for
quality suggests that they should not build or market such crap.

Giles Lean