Subject: Some nastiness with 1.3_ALPHA
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: current-users
Date: 11/22/1997 17:56:32
Hello...

I just had a rather nasty experience with 1.3_ALPHA.

Given a Pentium, 2 BT-946C controllers, 48MB core and 3 swap partitions
and NetBSD/i386.

There was trouble with the BHA driver which was recently fixed, and this
weekend was the first time I had a chance to get the entire world built.

All seemed well.  The world compiled with little trouble, and things
seemed to run fine afterwords.

However, as the load increased, the system locked up.  Since X was
running, it is unknown what might have been on the screen.  Upon reboot,
the file system checks reported large problems with a number of different
file systems.  What did not make sense was that some of these file systems
had not been written to in a long time.  The most damaged, however, was
/var, which is pretty busy.  In fact, this one was soo bad that it needed
to be restored from tape.

Something very strange had to have happened to corrupt these filesystems
and I am interested if anyone else has seen simular problems.

Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org   http://anduin.eldar.org