Subject: Make target/dependency expansion
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: After 5 PM please slip brain through slot in door. <>
List: current-users
Date: 11/21/1997 08:06:10

I have a question regarding make's target and dependency rules.

Does there exist a mechanism such that, given a dependency:

obj.${ARCH}/%.o:	src/%.c

make will, when handed obj.${ARCH}/main.o, attempt to compile src/main.c
[and like that]?

Has anyone thought of implementing it if it doesn't exist?

How hard does it look?

The current implementation does not appear to support it, but with
NetBSD I can never tell what's implemented where (xargs is a minimal
subset of what xargs is supposed to be capable of).

Unfortunately, this is hosing a quite dear off-the-net project I'd
LOVE to see actually work.

When the government fails to meet the needs and wishes of its populace,
it is the right AND THE DUTY of the people to _abolish_ it, and start anew.
				-- Tom Jefferson (paraphrased)