Subject: Booting from partition beyond cylinder 1023.
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG, netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Baw <baw@wuccrc.wustl.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 11/20/1997 19:01:00
Hello,

	Is there a way to boot NetBSD from a partition that starts beyond
the 1023rd cylinder of a disk?

	I am trying to install two OS'es on one harddisk. My IDE
harddisk's geometry is 7752 cyl., 16 heads, 63 sectors per track. The
partition table records only 10-bit worth of information concerning the
starting and ending cylinders of a partition. I learn from PFDISK's
documentation that the starting cylinder information is used to locate the
secondary bootstrap code. So my question is:  Is there a way to boot
NetBSD from a partition whose starting point is beyond cylinder 1023 of a
disk ?

	I've played with lilo, pfdisk, Linux/DOS/NetBSD variants of fdisk,
and os-bs to no avail. I appreciate any comment or suggestions. Thanks!

	Best regards.

Baw

P.S. My goal is to have Linux and NetBSD coexist on one disk. So either
making Linux or NetBSD bootable from some partition further away than
cylinder 1023 will work for me. Thanks.