Subject: Re: HELP ON 1.3 BOOT (fwd)
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/17/1997 12:50:38
Curt Sampson wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Nov 1997, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
> > Just as a refresher, this question came up on the mac68k list. We do not,
> > at present, use a NetBSD install program.
> >
> > How will such a program get on the computer, if it's not in the tar files?
>
> I don't know. Surely you're not going to propose putting the MD
> mac install program into the MI 68k tarfiles, are you?

Oh, no, that'd be rather silly :-)

> > The standard mac68k instalation procedure is to use the installer utility
> > to untar the distribution onto the new root filesystem, boot the computer
> > to single-user, and then configure things away.
>
> Maybe you need to create a separate tarfile in the distribution
> that has the MAC-specific install utilities on it. Or just put
> enough information in the INSTALL readme file so that folks know
> how to do the install.

I'll definitely be working on this a bit more as we go through BETA.
Hopefully, I'll have something relatively useful by the time we hit the
release.  I'm going to try upgrading to 1.3_ALPHA in the next couple of
days, so hopefully I'll be aware of most of the issues that'll arise.

Later.