Subject: Re: HELP ON 1.3 BOOT (fwd)
To: Curt Sampson <>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <haszlaki@UAccess.NET>
List: current-users
Date: 11/17/1997 04:18:58
> > 	well, unless I'm completely in a different world, /etc/rc checks and
> > mounts / before checking for rc_configured.
> Oops. It probably shouldn't do this.
	eh.. Maybe.  It makes it much easier to set stuff up if it does
mount / before.  Otherwise you'd have to make sure to turn on swap, check
/, mount / and then be able to edit stuff.  Everything done before the
rc_configured check is the minimum needed to allow you to configure the

> >    echo "the / file.  (type \"more /\")"
> > This file could then give some basic instructions on how to set up the
> > system.  (There's a file like that somewhere isn't there?  Perhaps not..)
> Well, for a start, more(1) will probably not be available, if /usr
> is on a separate filesystem.
	oops.  guess not.

> > Even if it does work
> > it would be nice for new users of netbsd to have a easy to find
> > (hence / instead of /usr/share/blah/
> What on earth is wrong with `man rc.conf'?
	the same thing that's wrong with "more". :)

> All the stuff you're talking about makes sense for a user handbook
> or something like that; it's the thought of keeping said user
> handbook in / that I object to, especially given that in the
> circumstances where the user needs it most, he probably won't have
> easy access to it.
> If there is such a file, it should be included with the install
> system. It's a one-time-use only thing; there's no reason it should
> be cluttering up a production system.
	How about a file created/copied by the install program?  (Actually
what I was originally thinking of)  It would exist on the install
disk if the hard drive wasn't accessible, and on a newly installed system
it would be easy to find if needed.  The tar files would not include it,
"make build" wouldn't install it, thus there would be no clutter.