Subject: Re: HELP ON 1.3 BOOT (fwd)
To: Eric Haszlakiewicz <haszlaki@UAccess.NET>
From: Curt Sampson <>
List: current-users
Date: 11/17/1997 01:56:51
On Mon, 17 Nov 1997, Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:

> 	well, unless I'm completely in a different world, /etc/rc checks and
> mounts / before checking for rc_configured.

Oops. It probably shouldn't do this.

> However, I think it would be fairly helpful
> if the message it printed out was more newuserfriendly.  For instance:
>    echo "/etc/rc.conf is not configured. Multiuser boot aborted."
>    echo "If you are unsure of what to do now, take a look at"
>    echo "the / file.  (type \"more /\")"
> This file could then give some basic instructions on how to set up the
> system.  (There's a file like that somewhere isn't there?  Perhaps not..)

Well, for a start, more(1) will probably not be available, if /usr
is on a separate filesystem.

If there is such a file, it should be included with the install
system. It's a one-time-use only thing; there's no reason it should
be cluttering up a production system.

> > The initial install program is responsible for setting rc_configured
> > to `yes' after it has configured everything else properly.
> 	yippe, but I doubt it will never fail.

If it does fail, we should fix the bug. If it's such an odd failure
that it's not fixable as a bug in the install system, chances are
that the system is so far gone that the novice user who doesn't
even know what /etc/rc.conf is and is not capable of finding out
will never be able to repair his system on his own anyway.

> Even if it does work
> it would be nice for new users of netbsd to have a easy to find
> (hence / instead of /usr/share/blah/

What on earth is wrong with `man rc.conf'?

All the stuff you're talking about makes sense for a user handbook
or something like that; it's the thought of keeping said user
handbook in / that I object to, especially given that in the
circumstances where the user needs it most, he probably won't have
easy access to it.

Curt Sampson	   Info at
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite myst, software reverberates