Subject: Re: HELP ON 1.3 BOOT (fwd)
To: Curt Sampson <>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <haszlaki@UAccess.NET>
List: current-users
Date: 11/17/1997 03:46:50
> > 1. Whatever the setting, booting proceeds until filesystems are checked and
> > mounted read/write.
> You can't do this, because if your /etc/rc.conf isn't configured,
> what's to say your /etc/fstab is configured? That doesn't just
> happen magically; a program has to do it at some point.
	well, unless I'm completely in a different world, /etc/rc checks and
mounts / before checking for rc_configured.  Of course anything else isn't
mounted (and shouldn't be).  However, I think it would be fairly helpful
if the message it printed out was more newuserfriendly.  For instance:
   echo "/etc/rc.conf is not configured. Multiuser boot aborted."
   echo "If you are unsure of what to do now, take a look at"
   echo "the / file.  (type \"more /\")"
This file could then give some basic instructions on how to set up the
system.  (There's a file like that somewhere isn't there?  Perhaps not..)

> The initial install program is responsible for setting rc_configured
> to `yes' after it has configured everything else properly.
	yippe, but I doubt it will never fail.  Even if it does work
it would be nice for new users of netbsd to have a easy to find
(hence / instead of /usr/share/blah/ info file
to explain a couple basic things and point them to where they can find
more info.