Subject: Re: ftp and tar annoyances
To: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/13/1997 17:33:56
> >tar -zxvpf bin.tar.gz   works, but
> >tar -zxvfp bin.tar.gz   doesn't
> Because "f" means "the argument immediately following the f is the
> filename" not "you will see a filename some time soon, keep parsing
> arguments until you get something that looks like a filename."

Actually, I think that Classic Tar (version 7 days) did not take the
filename from the bundled flags word; i.e.

	tar cvfb /dev/rmt0 20 ...

worked perfectly well.  Ah, in fact, that works with gnu tar IF you don't
use a hyphen; using a hyphen gives it more strictly POSIX-like semantics,
which includes taking the filename from the rest of the flags word.