Subject: Re: Possible (but Evil) work-around for Pentium bug?
To: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@herd.plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 11/12/1997 16:02:01
In message <Pine.NEB.3.96.971112163256.627A-100000@rn-re122a05>, Rick Byers wri
tes:
>upgradable microcode.  This would explain the SCO fix - it fixes the
>floating point problem.  Does anyone know which problem BSDI has fixed?

It's the F0 bug.

>I'm not sure if the F00FC7C8 bug can properly be fixed in software
>(without diabling the L1 cache) - but it appears the floating point bug is
>being fixed by a microcode update.

I have no clue how we do it, and, as they say, we are not at liberty to
discuss it.  You could ask Intel - we have announced that we have a fix,
and yes, it apparently works.

I personally disbelieve it - it's patently, and obviously, physically
impossible.  But it's apparently working.

Thanks for the clarification.

-s