Subject: Re: Minor nit with the wt0 (Wangtek Tape) driver.
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Eric S. Hvozda <hvozda@netcom.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/12/1997 10:24:25
On Wed, 12 Nov 1997 03:21:48 -0800  Jonathan Stone wrote:

> There have already been reports of the ie1 STARLAN probe breaking the
> old ed2 driver. I can't see anywhere this has been specificaly fixed:
> Eric S. Hvozda <hvozda@netcom.com>'s initial workaround was to build a
> custom kernel without an ie1 device, and now it looks like Eric is
> using PCMCIA. (or maybe Eric has a de-650 in one machine and a real
> SMC card in another, I can't tell..).

FWIW, you are correct Janathan, I do have two machines here.  Helios is a
notebook for which I have a D-Link DE-650 in and gate which as a SMC
Ultra Elite16C.

I did test the presence of ie1 vs not having it in the INSTALL
kernel, but I have since forgotten my results :-)  I will retest it
again this evening and post them.

I must admit, being somewhat of the NetBSD weenie, the fact that
ed2 hasn't been usable for the last few releases hasn't really been
an issue to me.  This is mostly due to the fact I'll just build my own
boot floppies.

Port accounting is the optimal solution in the interim.

However, I agree with the idea if we can't fix the probe problem, and
we're not going to make seperate install floppies so ed2 is usable, we
should make sure the install document mentions we support it, but
not for the purpose of installing a system...?