Subject: Re: Pentium Bug may cause system crash
To: Markus Illenseer <markus@core.de>
From: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 11/10/1997 23:16:07
It crashes me solid.  If it really is a processor bug (as it appears), ANY
O/S is volnerable.  The only solution (AFAIK) is to call Intel and get
them to replace it (they better not hassle me about it either - we can't
have users crashing our boxes at will).

Rick

On Sat, 8 Nov 1997, Markus Illenseer wrote:

>  Forwared from a Linux group, are we vulnerable as well? See attached
> source code.
>
> -------
>
> Hi folks,
>
> 	I'm forwarding something that was posted by a friend to the
> Seattle Linux Users mailing list.  FWIW, I tried it on my vanilla P200 as
> a regular user and it froze my box solid.  I'm yanking the Pent now for a
> Cyrix 6x86 to see if it has the problem also.  I heard a rumor that AMD
> K6's were not affected.
>
> thanks,
> -bp
> --
> B. James Phillippe <bryan@Terran.ORG>
> UNIX, Linux, networks, C, Perl, Java, etc.
> NIC:BJP4 # http://w3.terran.org/~bryan

> Horrible opcode bug on the pentiums. I hope none of you are pentium-based
> ISPs:
>
> --
> char x [5] = { 0xf0, 0x0f, 0xc7, 0xc8 };
> main ()
> {
>         void (*f)() = x;
>         f();
> }
>
> --
>
> apparent byte code: vx:cmpxchg
>
> locks up any pentium cpu, even from user-space, on any OS.
>
> yuck.
>
> - liem

> Liem Bahneman	                                      roland@cobaltgroup.com
> Senior Systems Administrator	  	  http://www.cobaltgroup.com/~roland
> The Cobalt Group					 (206) 269-6363 x300
> Seattle, Washington					F(206) 269-6350

> --
> Markus Illenseer

Rick Byers                                      Internet Access Worldwide
rickb@iaw.on.ca                                		     System Admin
University of Waterloo, Computer Science                    (905)714-1400
http://www.iaw.on.ca/rickb/                         http://www.iaw.on.ca/