Subject: Re: Package System Oddness...?
To: Brad Salai <bsalai@servtech.com>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 11/10/1997 09:25:14
On 11/9/97 at 11:28 PM -0500, you wrote:

> I had exactly the same problem. As the pkgsrc system gets more use, others
> will run into this. Putting all the necessary files into the pkgsrc sup
> collection will save answering the same question over and over. The pkg
> system will just work.

Of course, someone pointed out to me that the file is included in the etc
tarball, which I generally ignore. Some sort of note would be cool - I'd
think a /usr/pkgsrc/README with a note that you need a current /etc would
be easy enough to keep. It was a bit disheartening to only find out that I
needed a particular file at the end of my first grab / compile / install
cycle.

I'd be happy to write a quick README file for inclusion. Also, our "full
docs" for the package system weighs in under 30K, so that could probably be
included as well. The only trouble here is that I've got no clue how to
submit something like this. (Hint, hint... I'd love to learn!)

Later...

--
Mason Loring Bliss...mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us...www.webtrek.com/mason
"In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments