Subject: Re: Package System Oddness...?
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Brad Salai <bsalai@servtech.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/09/1997 23:28:24
At 8:55 PM -0500 11/9/97, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:
>On 11/9/97 at 11:23 PM +0000, you wrote:
>
>> > Hm. It might be worthwhile including /usr/src/etc/mtree/BSD.pkg.dist
>>in the
>> > package system sup collection for folks (myself included) who don't keep
>> > full source code around.
>>
>> I disagree. The package system is designed for NetBSD 1.3 and a proper
>> NetBSD 1.3 installation will include this file.
>
>Hm. Unless I'm mistaken, that particular file *isn't* included in the
>standard installation. It's part of the source, and it is not found in our
>snapshots, since they don't include the full source.
>
>Lots of folks don't have the space to keep a full set of NetBSD source
>lying around, and lots of us also don't have the horsepower to make
>compiling the world feasable even *with* the space. I lack both, and thus I
>rely on other folks' snapshots.
>
>I've now managed to have the package system grab, compile, and successfully
>install a package. It worked "out of the box," with the exception of that
>one file. If that one file were included in the package collection, things
>would be a lot easier for folks who want to use the package system. The
>file doesn't *have* to be included in the package system sup collection, as
>long as it's included *somewhere*. Right now someone starting from scratch
>will have to go out and grab that one file to have a completely working
>package system. It seems rather silly to not do something about this,
>doesn't it, Matthias? I'm not sure where in the grand scheme of things the
>file ought to go. I'll leave that to wiser heads than mine. <grin>
>
>> Simply chamge into the "etc" directory.
>
>Yep... I'm not quite sure how I missed that.
>
><find wall, slam face repeatedly>

I had exactly the same problem. As the pkgsrc system gets more use, others
will run into this. Putting all the necessary files into the pkgsrc sup
collection will save answering the same question over and over. The pkg
system will just work.

I agree with Mason.

Stephen B. Salai                                (716) 325-5553
Cumpston & Shaw                                 bsalai@servtech.com
Two State Street
Rochester, NY 14614