Subject: yppasswd/rpc.yppasswdd
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andreas Wrede <andreas@planix.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/09/1997 14:21:41
yppasswd (yp_passwd.c) uses "passwd.byname"  to retrieve the user's account,
which does not contain the passwd and it therefore always fails when
verifying the users old password. Should yp_passwd.c be changed to use
"master.passwd.byname" throughout in place of "passwd.byname"? In that case,
what happens if the yp servers is a SunOS machine, where passwd.byname will
have the passwords? Or, am I just confused??

While tracking down problems with yppasswd I noticed that the man page for
rpc.yppasswdd differs substantially from what's actually implemented by the
program. It almost looks like the program is a lot older than the man page,
since it does not do the logging to /var/yp/yppasswdd.log. The -m option is
used to supply additional args to yp make, not the name of the ypserv.acl
file.

--
Andreas Wrede              Planix, Inc.
andreas@planix.com         Networking, System Administration, Consulting