Subject: Package System Oddness...?
To: Current Users <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <>
List: current-users
Date: 11/09/1997 12:14:06
Here's what I did:

cd /usr/pkgsrc/sysutils/top
make install

And after a while, the machine said:

Error: mtree file "/etc/mtree/BSD.pkg.dist" is missing.
Copy it from a suitable location (e.g., /usr/src/etc/mtree) and try again.
*** Error code 1

So, I went to /etc/mtree and found a file called NetBSD.dist. I don't know
if this is my problem or not, but I said `ln NetBSD.dist BSD.pkg.dist` and
tried `make install` again.

This time through, it decided to create a hierarchy of directories in
/usr/pkg that matches my root:

/usr/pkgsrc# ls -l /usr/pkg
total 12
drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel  512 Nov  9 11:45 altroot
drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel  512 Nov  9 11:47 bin
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  512 Nov  9 11:45 dev

After doing that, it installed the top binary in /usr/pkg/bin, and then
flopped over onto its back with the message:

/usr/bin/install top.1 /usr/pkg/man/man1/top.1
install: /usr/pkg/man/man1/top.1: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

As it turns out, there's no /usr/pkg/man to be had. Evidently I've got a
path wrong somewhere... I'd like packages to default to /usr/local, but I
don't quite see where that preference is defined. It looks like what I want
to set is $PREFIX, but I can't find where it's set initially.

Thanks in advance for the help! Even though it's not running at 100% yet on
my box, this package system stuff is pretty neat.

Mason Loring
"In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments
 dropped from day's caravan."--Rabindranath Tagore...awake ? sleep : dream;