Subject: Package System Oddness...?
To: Current Users <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 11/09/1997 12:14:06
Here's what I did:

cd /usr/pkgsrc/sysutils/top
make
make install

And after a while, the machine said:

Error: mtree file "/etc/mtree/BSD.pkg.dist" is missing.
Copy it from a suitable location (e.g., /usr/src/etc/mtree) and try again.
*** Error code 1

Stop.

So, I went to /etc/mtree and found a file called NetBSD.dist. I don't know
if this is my problem or not, but I said `ln NetBSD.dist BSD.pkg.dist` and
tried `make install` again.

This time through, it decided to create a hierarchy of directories in
/usr/pkg that matches my root:

/usr/pkgsrc# ls -l /usr/pkg
total 12
drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel  512 Nov  9 11:45 altroot
drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel  512 Nov  9 11:47 bin
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  512 Nov  9 11:45 dev
[etcetera]

After doing that, it installed the top binary in /usr/pkg/bin, and then
flopped over onto its back with the message:

/usr/bin/install top.1 /usr/pkg/man/man1/top.1
install: /usr/pkg/man/man1/top.1: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

Stop.

As it turns out, there's no /usr/pkg/man to be had. Evidently I've got a
path wrong somewhere... I'd like packages to default to /usr/local, but I
don't quite see where that preference is defined. It looks like what I want
to set is $PREFIX, but I can't find where it's set initially.

Thanks in advance for the help! Even though it's not running at 100% yet on
my box, this package system stuff is pretty neat.

--
Mason Loring Bliss...mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us...www.webtrek.com/mason
"In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments