Subject: Re: The Beginning of The Beginning
To: Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 11/08/1997 18:56:17
At 19:35 Uhr +0100 07.11.1997, Jaromir Dolecek wrote:

>Understand it - it's _so_ painful for it to run in pure Unix, so
>it must create that powerful windows environment for it, because Unix
>environment is plainly too weak ;-)
>
>They got the approach I see like the easiest - create virtual
>Windows, make wrapper for Win32api calls and voila - here is "MSIE
>for Unix".  Never mind it's huge and actually unusable - it's good
>enough to picture MSIE as multi-platform browser and to picture
>(with proper marketing) MS as firm writing cross-platform applications.
>*sigh*

You see the same pattern on the Macintosh, btw.

Ssomeone on a Mac developer newsgroup pointed out that a nop application
popping up a window and two menu items is something like 7 MB on disk when
built with the VC++ cross development environment. (Word 4 is ~680K on
disk.)

Looks like the current M$ products always take their win32 suit with them
when going abroad...

	hauke