Subject: Re: The Beginning of The End
To: alanp <>
From: John F. Woods <>
List: current-users
Date: 11/07/1997 14:06:50
> > any chance to see this ported to NetBSD:
> >
> Right now, it ONLY runs on Solaris 2.5.1/SPARC.  Don't know what they have
> planned for the future.

World domination.

This is largely a marketing hack*, so I don't anticipate them being in a
great hurry to port it to platforms where Windows is a plausible (to them)
alternative...  Also, as I recall they use a windows-api-emulation environment
that some company brewed up for Solaris and one or two other operating systems,
thus further minimizing the chances for making it a widespread UNIX option.

[*] "It runs (well, staggers) on UNIX (well, _a_ UNIX), so it's a fully open
standard, just like Netscape.  Here, have an ActiveX control."