Subject: Re: Weird "make all" behavior
To: None <cgd@pa.dec.com>
From: Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>
List: current-users
Date: 11/07/1997 13:59:20

[I wrote:]
>> Perhaps we should just deprecate BUILD and the idea that the install
>> target never builds anything unless BUILD is defined.

>Changing install to build things by default would be a substantial,
>and I'd say unnecessary and inappropriate, deviation from the
>historical behaviour.

Reading it again, I can see I wasn't clear.  What I'd like is to bring
back the behavior from before BUILD was added (including the complete
absence of BUILD) so that 'make all install' works.  If someone can
get 'make all install' to work and solve the private-lib-vs.-BUILD
problem, then more power to him; but if that doesn't happen I'd prefer
to see BUILD Go Away.
--
Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>                http://www.shore.net/~mikel