Subject: Re: Problems with 1.3-ALPHA (fwd)
To: Rob Deker <deker@digex.net>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/06/1997 17:17:54
On Thu, 6 Nov 1997, Rob Deker wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Nov 1997, Patrick Welche wrote:
> > Next, I think /dev/sd0d is reserved for the whole disk, so change sd0d
> > to sd0e or f in your fstab.
> >
> is this a new thing in 1.3? I thought that c was reserved traditionally
> for the entire disk...

On the i386 port, the c partition is the entire netbsd part of the disk,
and the d partition is the whole disk.  On (most of the) other ports, the
c partition is the whole disk.

Up until just before 1.3_ALPHA was frozen, the d partition on the mac68k
port often ended up being the SCSIManager4.3 driver partition.  Allen made
a change at the last minute to ignore that (since there's precious little
we could ever _do_ with it) in order get get one more useable partition.

> "Off the keyboard, through the CPU, | deker@digex.net
> out the transceiver, down the rj45  | Technical Operations Manager
> line, across the router, through    |
> the Hub, out the gateway.           |
>         Nothing but net."           |

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com |