Subject: Re: Another stat13 problem
To: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@ece.utexas.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 11/06/1997 15:31:45
Erik Bertelsen wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Nov 1997, Simon Burge wrote:
>
> I fought with this for a couple of days. If necessary, go to single-user
> and recompile and install login, su, and other needed programs linked
> as static executables.

  On a related note, we have ~5 NetBSD i386 machines, one of which is
running -current as our guinea pig, and the others are a few
months behind.  With the current __stat13 stuff, I can not create
.o files on the -current box and then link successfully on an
older box -- /usr/include/sys/stat.h adds an asm reference to
__stat13, which of course doesn't exist in libc from a few months
ago.

  This is a minor irritation for me -- linking a 5MB executable
(which I do dozens or hundreds of times a day) over NFS is
slow, so I frequently do a local make of all .o files on
the -current box (3x faster processor than the NFS server), and
then do an rsh to the NFS server to do the linking fast.  Now,
any .o file that includes stat.h must be recompiled on the NFS
server each time its source is changed, rather than being
compiled on the faster machine, otherwise the link fails due to
the server not seeing __stat13 anywhere.

  Brian
--
Brian Grayson (bgrayson@ece.utexas.edu)
Graduate Student, Electrical and Computer Engineering