Subject: Re: Release cycles
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: S.P.Zeidler <spz@serpens.swb.de>
List: current-users
Date: 11/06/1997 21:28:21
Hi,

>NetBSD is darn stable in -current most of the time. I don't think I've ever
>had a problem with a release version that didn't turn out to be my fault
>(configuration/hardware).
>
>Any examples to be had here?

Tabaluga is a NetBSD/i386 with too much work to do on too little disk space
and disk bandwidth. At least one of it's disks usually is at full usage
(by systat) almost constantly. It tends to freeze after ~ a month to a
situation where it's so firmly wedged that I can't break into the debugger
with ctrl-alt-esc (or reboot by any other measure than cutting the juice).

It will keep on pinging (and routing) fine. It happens to hold my leased
line home and the PPP will happily keep on running until sth disturbs
the line and the PPP finishes; I don't get a new one (ought to get started
by getty). Currently open shells don't react any more.

I'm not sure if the SCSI hardware, the SCSI code (bt), other parts of
the OS or all together are to blame; the "after about a month" feature
points to a leak of some kind IMO.

Tabaluga runs 1.2.1 currently, but I had the very same symptoms with 1.2.

regards,
	spz
--
spz@serpens.swb.de (S.P.Zeidler)