Subject: Re: i386: ethernet problems with 1.3_ALPHA boot image?
To: None <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
From: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: current-users
Date: 11/06/1997 12:03:10
> > ed2: device timeout
>
> FWIW, I have seen this same device timeout error with an SMC Elite
> Ultra (or Ultra Elite?).  It seems like building a new kernel with
> 'ed0' and no other network devices makes it work.

Now I took the time to look what I did on the machine where I saw
this problem, and it appears that i configured the card to use
the ed0 parameters instead of the ed2 parameters, i.e. I
configured the card for port 0x280-0x29f iomem 0xd0000-0xd3fff
irq 9.  With those settings I could use the SMC card with both
the INSTALL and the GENERIC kernels.

> Also, I've seen where I have to power the machine off to get
> the card recognized after a reboot.  Once it is 'ed0' this goes
> away.

Right, this is also my experience.  The DOS SMC config program
may also have trouble finding the card if you have not power
cycled the machine.  Why?  I don't know.

> Perhaps one of the other device probes at 0x300 is hosing the
> card.  Looking at INSTALL, el0, ie1, and ne1 are all at port
> 0x300, and could be causing the problem.

I wouldn't know, but it would be possible to rip out one driver
after the other to find out which one of the others is causing
the problem.

Regards,

- H=E5vard