Subject: Re: i386: ethernet problems with 1.3_ALPHA boot image?
To: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/06/1997 01:44:35

> > Additional clue: ever time I run ping I always get:
> >
> > ping: failed to clear cached route: network is unreachable
> > ed2: device timeout
>
> The first one is probably caused by your failure to ifconfig
> lo0.  Do "ifconfig lo0 inet 127.0.0.1" and that error message
> should go away (I hope).
>
> The second error is probably caused by a more "real" problem.

FWIW, I have seen this same device timeout error with an SMC Elite
Ultra (or Ultra Elite?).  It seems like building a new kernel with
'ed0' and no other network devices makes it work.  Also, I've seen
where I have to power the machine off to get the card recognized
after a reboot.  Once it is 'ed0' this goes away.  Perhaps one of
the other device probes at 0x300 is hosing the card.  Looking at
INSTALL, el0, ie1, and ne1 are all at port 0x300, and could be
causing the problem.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.