Subject: Another stat13 problem
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 11/06/1997 13:41:16
I've got a stat13 problem, on my two pmax's.

The setup I've got is two machines, each with root and /var on a local
disk, and /usr mounted of a file server.  Both of these machines were
running -current of about August 26th.  I've recently run a "make build"
with October 29 sources on one of the machines (vlad), and now the other
machine (mona) is a little knackered.  Trying to telnet to mona gives
the following:

	balrog:~ 3> telnet mona
	Trying 172.73.42.230...
	Connected to mona.supp.cpr.itg.telecom.com.au.
	Escape character is '^]'.
	telnetd: undefined symbol: '__stat13' 12
	Connection closed by foreign host.

And when I try to log in as root on the console, I get something
similar:

	NetBSD/pmax (mona) (console)

	login: root
	login: undefined symbol: '__stat13' 12
	login: undefined symbol: '__stat13' 12

	NetBSD/pmax (mona) (console)

	login:

Thinking that a reboot might help (ldconfig picking up the right things,
etc), I hit the reset button and bought the machine up again.  It's now
cycling constantly with the following messages on the console:

Nov  6 12:08:23 mona init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/console, sleeping
Nov  6 12:08:23 mona syslogd: /var/run/utmp: No such file or directory
Nov  6 12:08:23 mona last message repeated 3 times

While all this is happening, vlad (the 1.3alpha machine) is running
fine.  Obviously (in retrospect) I should have updated the kernel on
mona before I did the "make build", but I guess this was never explictly
mentioned anywhere.  I'll now try to get a -current kernel onto mona
(which I suspect will fix the problem).

Should the release notes mention updating kernels on all machines that
share a /usr before updating userland (if they do, I missed it)?

Simon.