Subject: Re: Problems with 1.3-ALPHA
To: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.aisol.net>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/04/1997 16:56:57
1.3 has some new system calls, which will be called by various binaries in
the 1.3 base kit.  If you've booted a 1.2 (or 1.2.1) kernel, these system
calls aren't implemented.  Hence the error message.

So, first, install yourself a new 1.3 kernel, and then boot _that_ kernel
before installing the rest of the kits.

On Tue, 4 Nov 1997, Mark Andres wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using a Macintosh IIcx with 20MB of RAM, a 730MB Quantum HD, and was
> previosuly running 1.2.1.  I downloaded the 1.3-ALPHA snapshot for the
> mac68k port. I am now in the process of installing it.  I am following the
> same procedure I used to upgrade from 1.2 to 1.2.1.  Namely,
>
> I booted single user and mounted my partitions read/write.
>
> I went to the root directory ( cd / ) and then did
>
>    tar --unlink -zxvpf base.tar.gz
>
> This was the base snapshot for 1.3-ALPHA.  Tar did its stuff and seemed to
> untar everything without any problems.  However, now I cannot use any
> commands.  All commands come up with the same error message:
>
>   Bad system call - core dumped
>
> I tried 'ls', 'tar', 'cat', even 'halt' and 'shutdown' do not work.  At
> this point, I am wide open to suggestions, since I cannot even shutdown my
> system.
>
> Mark Andres                  E-mail: mark@ratbert.aisol.net
>           Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
> Me: /www2.giganet.net/~mark/ NetBSD: /bullwinkle.aisol.net/
>                                  Currently stuck in single-user mode

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com |