Subject: Re: N. logo doesn't have to be cute ?
To: Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/03/1997 10:09:47
Jaromir Dolecek wrote:

> I mean logo _should_ be kind of cute. I won't like to have spider in
> computer (dust is enough ;-) as I personally hate & fear spiders;
> nor octopuss is very kind, it's cormorant, it can hurt me if I would
> be so crazy to come close to it.

I agree...well I'm not afraid of spiders or cephlapods (although I just
saw a rather disturbing PBS special on them)...but I'm not too sure I'd
want them as mascots.

> I woould like to have some swift, fast and lean software in computer.
> I mean daemon is ideal - he's pretty fast, sweaping bad things
> (software ? bugs ?) from the Earth's surface; he can manage
> to do almost anything; actually, nobody knows what he _isn't_ able to do.
> He is human-like, so understands problems of people very well.
> The bad ones fear it; the good ones just like it, because he helps
> them to live (programm ? compute ?) better and more easily.

I, too, prefer the daemon.  Although perhaps a djinn would be better?

> I like it much more than any must-be-cute animal (penguin is lazy,
> very slow on land, not very fast in water, fat (bloated ?) -
> I like penguins, but only if all I want is look at it).  I've
> never understood, why penguin was chosen by Linus to be emblem of
> Linux.  I'm afraid the only reason has been "to be completely
> different from anything already existent" only, without much thinking.
> On the other hand, there are no many alternatives ;-)

Take a look at:  http://www.linux.org/info/penguin.html
for more info on that one.

> Let's hold NetBSD as OS one can be pride to use. And even neat logo
> should help to achieve this ;-b

Sounds like a good sentiment to me!

Later.