Subject: Re: Why doesn't modload remove linked modules?
To: tron@lyssa.owl.de (Matthias Scheler), matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: current-users
Date: 11/03/1997 11:39:11
Excerpts from netbsd: 3-Nov-97 Re: Why doesn't modload rem.. matthew
green@eterna.com (494)

> i'd rather have modload remove
> the post-linked object -- what's the point of keeping it around
> *anyway* ?

As I wrote in a mail to Matthias:
You can link other modules against this file, allowing
use of functions in the first module.
And, it can be useful for debugging either in the live
system or remotely.

It could be removed in "modload" if there is no "-o"
option, but:
-The race condition is there in any case - the file is
  not created by mkstemp() but by the linker.
-"modload" should get a hint where to put this
  temporary file - "/tmp" is appropriate for early
  system startup, later something like "/var/run"
  could be used for security reasons.

So I don't see an advantage in changing "modload" over
changes in the calling scripts, and in doubt I vote
against bloat.

best regards
Matthias