Subject: Re: NetBSD logo
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Dave Burgess <burgess@cynjut.neonramp.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/02/1997 12:01:07

> > > *nod*
> >
> > I suppose it *is* in the nature of a volunteer project that people work on
> > what they like to do, but it does kind of seem to me that choosing a really
> > cool logo is pretty far down on the list of things that could be done to
> > increase NetBSD's user base.
>
> Maybe, but it would be nice to include a NetBSD logo on the WWW pages
> of all machines running NetBSD..

It would also be nice if we could get the folks running NetBSD to get
into the WebRing.  I've been on a ring for over a year and Unix Review/Info
Week/one of those (???) just had a really interesting article about
WebRing.  If we could get the Ring thing going (and get some prominence
on our Web Pages) it would be a Good Thing (tm).

> BTW, I wish the logo had some nice animal in it (the best thing in linux is
> the cute little penguin of theirs ;-)  The daemon sounds so evil and bad in
> my ears, when compared to an innocent penguin. ;)  Oh well, I guess it will
> always be a daemon, so I should probably continue on writing this C program..

Have you every actually been around a penguin?  I wasn't able to discern
any appreciable difference (except for the pitchfork, which the penguin
doesn't need :-)

BTW:  I thought the Jargon File claimed the preferred pronunciation for
'daemon' was 'dA - mun', not 'dE - mun'.  That is usually enough to get
the (all but the most ecclesiastical) confused enough to quiet them
down.

--
Dave Burgess                   Network Engineer - Nebraska On-Ramp, Inc.
*bsd FAQ Maintainer / SysAdmin for the NetBSD system in my spare bedroom