Subject: Re: NetBSD improvements WAS Re: RealAudio
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 11/01/1997 17:09:56
Ted Lemon writes:
>> can we put all the files for all arch on one CD?  or maybe 2?  one src and
>> one bin?

>Almost certainly.   The problem is that we probably can't make a
>multi-architecture CD from which it's possible to _install_ NetBSD.

Why not?  Sure some/many? archs do not support booting from a CD,
but that does not mean you can't provide a boot floppy image and then
install the rest from the CD.

See http://www.quick.com.au/FreeWare/configs.html
for an example of a tool that supports installing a configuration on
multiple OS's releases and architectures.  You'd just need to have

/configs/NetBSD/i386
/configs/NetBSD/sparc
/configs/NetBSD/m68k
and if the install list said to unpack bin.tar.gz in the / directory
it finds the right one and unpacks it.  Of course it can do much more
than that...

--sjg

--
Simon J. Gerraty        <sjg@quick.com.au>

#include <disclaimer>   /* imagine something _very_ witty here */