Subject: Re: Release cycles (Was: Re: RealAudio)
To: Jim Bernard <jbernard@tater.mines.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/31/1997 21:58:52
Jim Bernard wrote:

> On 10 31, Colin Wood wrote:
> > Hopefully, the 1.4 release cycle will not last nearly as long as 1.3 :-)
>
>   As I recall, this was said of 1.2 and 1.3 as well.
>
>   If I may make a somewhat radical suggestion: why not simply dispense
> with releases altogether?  Instead simply let portmasters (or other
> interested parties) put up snapshots (with source, please!) whenever the
> spirit moves and the tree is not too badly broken.  Anyone who wants to
> put out a CD can simply gather up the most recent snapshots from each of
> the ports, perhaps with -current source thrown in for do-it-yourselfers.
>
>   I know I've had rather good luck randomly picking dates on which to do
> builds from -current, and I have not found the releases to be particularly
> attractive, either from the point of view of being bug free or being up
> to date (they're always obsolete with respect to -current by the time
> they're released, though it looks like 1.3 might come reasonably close to
> being an exception).

This is something of a bad idea.  The nice thing about a release is that
it usually has at least a month of stability and heavy pounding to take
care of many of the bugs.  NetBSD-current will never have this kind of
advantage.  If NetBSD is to be used in production machines, it has to be
guaranteed to be able to run...to be stable.  NetBSD-current just can't
make this kind of guarantee.

Later.