Subject: Re: NOMAN
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 10/29/1997 12:55:28
> You didn't make sure your .mk files were up to date.

>> ===> share/man/man1
>> ===> share/man/man1/man1.atari
>> make: don't know how to make all. Stop
>> *** Error code 2

While this is an accurate response - it is true that I did not check my
.mk files against the latest sup - it turns out it is not a helpful
response.  I have now updated /usr/src/share/mk from this morning's sup
(the only files changed were own, port, and subdir).  I then ran "make
install" in /usr/src/share/mk.  I then set NOMAN and went to
/usr/src/share/man/man1 and....

# make all
===> man1.atari
make: don't know how to make all. Stop
*** Error code 2

Stop.
#

I even diffed the tree rooted at /usr/src/share/man/man1 versus the
corresponding tree from this morning's sup, and they're identical
except that the former has some .cat1 files in it (since I haven't done
a cleandir since the last build there).

For now, since there's room in /usr/src, I'm building without NOMAN; on
reflection, the only thing I needed it set for was the "make install"s
done under (eg) /usr/src/lib.  Indeed, since I will want manpages in
the space I'm going to install from this build into, it's actually not
inappropriate to leave NOMAN unset for the build.

Once this build is done and I "make install" it into the rest of the
space on this machine, I'm going to do another "make build" to make
sure everything's up to date, then freshen the source tree (the tree
I'm working with was supped four days ago) and start all over.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca