Subject: NOMAN
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 10/29/1997 08:21:02
I'm doing a NetBSD/sparc build-of-the-world.  Since the system I'm
doing it on has very little space anywhere but /usr/src, too little to
hold a full system, I set NOMAN=yes in the environment so as to avoid
installing tons of goop in /usr/share/man when doing the make install
for libc.

But then, I get

===> share/man/man1
===> share/man/man1/man1.atari
make: don't know how to make all. Stop
*** Error code 2

Stop.
[cascade of "Error code 1" / "Stop." snipped]
#

I believe this is directly related to NOMAN, because on another SPARC,
where I have room enough, doing a build with NOMAN unset worked fine.
(This lack of space is a transient state; once I get a build done, I
will install into some other space and will then have plenty of room to
build-and-install everything, including manpages.)

I think bsd.man.mk needs to provide some of the targets it normally
does, even when NOMAN is turned on - they just need to do nothing. :-)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca