Subject: Re: Sendmail without (permanent) DNS access
To: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
From: Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/29/1997 01:51:49
On Oct 29, 10:19am, Martin Husemann wrote:
} Subject: Sendmail without (permanent) DNS access
} I tried to get mail working on two more machines on my home network
} (so I could send-pr right there) and stumbled accross on of sendmail
} un-orthogonalities.
}
} My *.mc file looks like this:
}
} ---8<---
} divert(-1)
} #
} #  HWART - forward all (even local) mail to rumolt
} #
} divert(0)
} include(`../m4/cf.m4')
} OSTYPE(bsd4.4)
} FEATURE(nodns)
} FEATURE(nocanonify)
} define(`confMESSAGE_TIMEOUT', 5d/2d)
} FEATURE(nullclient, rumolt.teuto.de)
} --->8---
}
} It doesn't work with this config (or, probably doesn't work as I understand
} on the mail host as well, but doesn't matter there) because sendmail now
} insists on looking up the MX record of rumolt.teuto.de before forwarding
} the mail to it. I do have DNS configured, but the server is behind the dial-up
} connection and I realy don't want it to be used for local mail delivery.

You might try something like:

FEATURE(nullclient, `[rumolt.teuto.de]')

The brackets tell sendmail to bypass the MX lookup and only look up the
address.